Just a real quick update on our trip to TMC. First I have to thank my WONDERFUL mother-in law for watching over the kids so Steven and I could go. Steven and I had a great time getting away together and it was wonderful having each other for support and think about different questions that we might have. We were able to talk with one of the pediatric specialist that is over the Neonatal Incentive Care Unit or NICU. He answered a lot of our questions and we were able to learn more thoroughly what to expect after our little girl is born. Our biggest one was how long will she be in the hospital, and we learned any where from 1 1/2 to 3 months. We toured the NICU, Labor and Delivery, and also the Mother-baby unit where I will recover. We also spoke with a pediatric surgeon and got more of an idea of how the surgery is preformed. More then likely they will be putting her intestines into what is called a "silo" and gradually let gravity push the intestines back inside her abdominal cavity ( it takes about 7 days). Then it is a waiting game as they slowly start the process of feeding and watching how the body reacts.
So after a long day we feel more prepared, and I will be honest, reality is starting to settle in and I am well... scared is probably the best way to say it. I know that these next couple of months are not going to be easy but I also know that the Lord is watching over us and that everything will be alright.
On a side note, I also had another Dr.'s appointment yesterday and I spoke with my regular OB doctor, and he mentioned that he had been looking over my initial ultrasound and they might be changing my due date. That first scan actually would push my due date back a week and a half which would be wonderful and very important. One thing that the Ped specialist really talked about the importance of was making sure that she was not delivered to soon, they wanted her to be a least 35 weeks along. and right now I am closer (with my new due date) to 32-33. So hopefully everything goes well, she continues to grow and her small intestine continues to work properly.
3 comments:
Rachel, I know how stong you are and we are praying for you. We are truly blessed to live in these times where medicine has advanced enough to help us the way it does.
Sending love to you...
All our best
Our prayers are always for you and the baby to "gain weight!"
We are so proud of your fortitude and faith! We love you!
Post a Comment