We may not have it all together, but together we have it all

Wednesday, January 27

Another week and the countdown continues

I can't believe that another week has gone by. We have had lots of fun experiences and of course I forgot to get out the camera to document any of them. First off, it has been raining and raining, and in Arizona that is a big deal. One of my most favorite things about living in the desert is that when it does rain there is a bush called grease-wood that omits the most amazing smell and the combination of this and a small hint of dust in the air and you have the smell of the desert. I wish I could just bottle up that scent and wear it as a perfume, or have it in the house as a candle. I just love it.
The kids have done well being confined mostly inside. We just completed their playroom downstairs, of which I have not taken any pictures of the LONG process it took to completion, yes I am really bad at that. But they love their new space and spend a lot of time downstairs now. They also really like their magnetic marble track that we got them for Christmas. Our first plan was to put it downstairs in their playroom, but we kept it upstairs during the renovation and it was so nice having upstairs next to the kitchen that we decided to keep it there. It truly have been a life savor giving the kids something to do while I am in the kitchen or working on the computer.
Steven is doing well in school. Everyday that goes by it becomes more routine and we are all learning to balance the new schedule.
My pregnancy continues to go just fine. She is one very active little girl. When I went to get my non stress test done this week, the nurse literally had the hold the monitor on my belly to get a decent reading because she was moving around so much. In fact, she has moved around so much that now instead of being head down she is breached. Not so good news to someone who wants a normal delivery. So I am hoping and praying that she will flip around again and stay put, and the option of having a C-section is put on the back burner. I was very disappointed with her today as well. My Dr.'s office just got a new 3-D ultrasound machine and my Dr. tried to get an image of her profile, but she did not cooperate at all. Her hands were completely covering her face and so we could not see anything. I was so disappointed, oh well, she will be here sooner than later and I will gets lots of time to just look at her.
Just me thinking out loud; it is so interesting being an adult and having children of my own, but at the same time still remembering the love and interests of my own childhood. I am reflecting on this because today as it was raining my kids really wanted to go outside and play in it. Something that they loved to do in Florida, however it was A LOT warmer. It wasn't to bad outside but it was cold, wet, and muddy. But I knew that they would have a blast, so I made them put on their old clothes and I sent them outside with their jackets on. I hung out by the door to make sure they stripped down and didn't get mud all over the house when they came back inside. I remember doing this as a kid myself and I made the same arguments that my children made to me this afternoon to be allowed to go outside. I didn't think about the possibility of getting cold, or the importance of wearing my old clothes. I didn't think that splashing in the mud puddles in the yard actually create larger holes and possibly damage the grass underneath. I just wanted to go outside and have fun. I think sometimes that it is so hard being an adult and having adult reasoning. We would have so much more fun and be a lot more carefree if we thought more like children sometime. My kids did have a GREAT time outside, and yes they got covered in mud. But that is what being a kid is all about and soon, way to soon playing in the rain won't be as much fun anymore.